Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Back at Gull Lake... Again!

It's so good to be here too!

With all of our travels recently it's been hard to feel planted anywhere, and we were starting to feel like nowhere was home, but being back here has been "right". Melanie has started her job as Cabin Leader Coordinator as I am finding multiple things to get dirty doing!

We just returned from two weeks in Langley BC, where we took a course called MissionPrep. It was a very good experience which taught us about living in different cultures, learning languages, and the Gospel within cultural context. We also spent time addressing different spiritual and emotional subjects and reflecting on how they affect us.

I was challenged to think about time in a new light.

"Time is Money."
"That was a Waste of time."
"A stitch in Time saves Nine."
"Time heals all wounds."

Our culture places a lot of emphasis on time. Time is a commodity in North America. People value it.

For what? Why is time so important to me? Are we more productive because I value time? What is the measure of a "productive" person anyways!?

In South America, people say "Come over anytime", and they mean it. Can you imagine if you were just about to head out the door to an important meeting and the doorbell rang? At the door is an old friend, and they say, "Can we hang out?"

What's your response?

I know that my response would probably be that I'm really busy and could we hang out later? I'd probably also be a bit angry that he would just show up at my door unannounced.

This discussion has made me realize that I need to learn to see my time as less important than relationships.


So, enough soapboxing! Hope you all enjoyed your long weekend (or will enjoy in the case of you Americans!) Thanks for reading, we love to hear your comments anytime!

-Stephen and Melanie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys. Hope you are well. We were pleased ot get your letter a couple of months ago and I have just enjoyed looking thro your Blog. Thank you again for yoiiur ministry at Mew Park Road, I pray God gave you something through it too- I'm guessing He did! Poppy especially was pleased ot have you with us. Sorry we didn't see more of you, but of course we are still brothers and sisters. We have been thinking, but not doing much for the teenagers at church and are due to have a special time of prayer in a couple of weeks. Hopefully this will help us find a way forward.
we want to keep in touch with you so feel free to email us and we can pray for God to go ahead and sort out everything and then direct yoiu in His ways. Certainly some interesting ideas about how to use time- no doubt Africa will be a challenge in that way. I always think I would like that laid back way of life, but who knows if I could cope with the reality. We had a wedding in church a couple of weeks ago (RAchel and Junior) and Rachel was 90 mins late (85 actually). Lawrence was impressed that she was still not the last to arrive, by a significant margin!
anyway, I really should be working so I will get on with that. love and blessings, Justin